SHC is as resilient as the families it serves. We have adapted programs to stay connected and responsive to needs throughout the pandemic. Here are a few examples:
- SHC Welcome Workshops bring community resources to families
- The Homework Helpers Program provides remote tutoring support for school-aged children in refugee and immigrant families.
- The English Language Learner Program uses live instruction on Zoom, What’sApp voice, photo and text engagement and SHC teacher made videos to engage students.
- The Pre-SHCool Program is online pre-school and Story time for SHC's youngest learners that meets weekdays.
- SHC partners with local health providers to provide COVID 19 information, resources and organize vaccine clinics for our community.
- The SHC Citizenship Preparation and Tutoring program prepares students for the naturalization process and provides connections to local legal services.
- SHC is working to meet the needs of families from Afghanistan directly through SHC programs or to connect to other local organizations who can help with other services including legal providers and donations of household goods.
- SHC founded and coordinates the Refugee Sponsors Group, over 50 local congregations as well as individual volunteers working in the DC, Maryland and Virginia area with refugee families.